Sunday 4 September 2011

Beetroot and Chocolate

Back in March, I wrote about a visit to Todmorden, when we had coffee and cake at the whole-food cafe in the former Co-op, and I had a delicious beetroot and chocolate brownie.  (John said that the very idea was disgusting, which added a certain piquancy to the experience.)  Last week, we went to Northumberland to stay with friends at their caravan in Coquetdale, and I decided to look for a recipe so that I could take a batch with us.  You can find the recipe I used, by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, at several web sites, including this one.

The brownies are easy to make, and very quick if you buy ready-cooked beetroot.  I stuck to the recipe, except that I put the beetroot through the food processor instead of attempting to grate it, which seemed potentially very messy. (I was extremely careful in handling the beetroot - the juice is very splashy and can easily get all over your clothes and the kitchen.)

The brownies were very good indeed, and even better after keeping for a day - rich and moist and deliciously chocolatey.  The beetroot adds texture and helps to keep them nicely squidgey, but there is no detectable taste of beetroot at all (which is probably just as well). So everyone at the caravan enjoyed them very much - except John, who could not be persuaded to taste even the tiniest piece.

It's a pity - I'm sure he would enjoy them if he would only try them.  I shall make them again, to share with friends - though not too often, as they are very calorific. Even if they do contain vegetables and so are good for you.   

1 comment:

  1. "John said that the very idea was disgusting, which added a certain piquancy to the experience." Ha! This whole post was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...