Friday 12 April 2013

What to wear on a desert island

I have been sorting more patterns from the Knitting & Crochet Guild collection.  The latest batch are Patons patterns from the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Not an especially exciting batch, to be honest, but I found this bright and cheerful picture sweater from 1981 - evidently meant to be a summer sweater, in spite of being knit in D.K. wool.


Patons 1907 "Summer special" 

I think that Kirsty Young ought to wear a sweater like this for Desert Island Discs, to get her guest in the right mood. (Though as it's a radio programme, we can't see what she's wearing - maybe she already does.)

I also found a companion sweater for the winter. Not as bright, and I think less popular, judging by the fact that I only found one copy of the pattern, whereas there were several of the desert island pattern.  I don't know why they weren't equally popular - I think that if you wanted a wintry picture sweater in 1981, this one is not bad.  And it doesn't have any snowmen, reindeer or other Christmassy elements, so you could have worn it all winter.  Not now, though - I know that there are some picture sweaters around this year, but I don't think that sweaters with a landscape all over the front have been revived.  They still belong in the 1980s.

Patons 1908 "Winter winner"

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these patterns. There is nothing quite like retro patterns! I would actually knit and wear these jumpers... It's true, and I'm not ashamed! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I shouldn't have sounded so much like the fashion police. I'm totally unqualified to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't be wearing, and I really don't know much about what's in vogue at the moment. I wouldn't want to knit these sweaters now, and I probably wouldn't have then either. But they certainly make the world a more cheery place, and that's a good thing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...