Tuesday 24 April 2018

On the other foot (3)

Since I last  wrote, we have been on holiday in Spain -  visiting Seville, Cordoba and Granada, and several other smaller places too.   We had a very good holiday, saw lots of historic sites (Roman and Moorish, mainly), ate lots of delicious food,...  But I had a few days of not feeling very well after we got back, so stayed in mostly, not eating much.  The weather was awful, so staying in wasn't much of a problem, and I did get quite a lot of knitting done.  The final part of the On the Other Foot socks Mystery Knit Along was published just before we went away, so I had the first sock to finish, and hadn't started the second sock.  And now they are finished.


I am very pleased with them - they fit very well and are the most luxurious socks I have ever worn (wool and silk!). Though I should maybe take a better photo on a lighter background.

 I did make a couple of modifications to the pattern.  The cables and lace option I chose for the ankle part had a few bobbles in it, but I have a strong aversion to knitting bobbles, and didn't like the idea of bobbles on my socks, so I left them off.  (Sorry, Ann and Sarah, but they are my socks.)   And the options for the cuff sounded interesting, but were quite narrow. I like a deeper stretchy cuff, so I knitted mine in a twisted rib instead. (My socks.)

I guessed that the lace and cables options I had chosen were those designed by Sarah, mainly because the socks I knitted for Susie for Christmas (described here) to Sarah's pattern The Chain featured one of the stitch patterns used in On the Other Foot.  But I saw Ann at the Huddersfield Knitting & Crochet Guild meeting last week, and she told me that I had actually chosen the options that she designed - the colour work options were those designed by Sarah.  You can see two pairs of socks, one using Ann's options and the other using Sarah's, on Ann's blog here.  The colour work socks look very good, too - and several of the projects on Ravelry have mixed the cables & lace options with the colour work options, and that also works well.

And just to prove that we have been to Spain, here's a photo of me looking in the window of a yarn shop in Seville.  (I didn't go in, though.)

 

4 comments:

  1. zitamarie3@sonic.net25 April 2018 at 01:39

    I like your version of the sock better without bobbles and the soft fawn colour of the yarn. Oh, yes, I imagine the wool/silk combination feels wonderful on your feet. Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the yarn is really nice. As well as the feel of it, I like the slightly uneven colour, which gives quite a lively effect.

      Delete
  2. Those are lovely socks - and what a fantastic set of cities to visit. Andalucia's my favourite part of Spain, and Seville might well be my favourite city in the world. Were the orange trees in blossom? I bet they smelled heavenly if they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange trees: yes, they were in blossom, and yes they did smell heavenly. Covered in oranges too - though the sour Seville type. We were told that the Moors grew them just for their scent - marmalade came later.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...