Saturday 12 March 2016

The Trunk Show in Haworth

Yesterday, Angharad and I took the trunk show to Haworth (home of the Brontes).  The Skipnorth group get together every year for a knitting weekend at Haworth Youth Hostel - a great idea. This year, they asked us to do a show for them.  

It was more or less the same selection as at the Birmingham Trunk Show - we have been very busy, so no time to pick completely different things.  I got some new photos, though.



We took a beautiful knitted octagonal cloth (large doiley?  small tablecloth?)  - possibly a Marianne Kinzel design.  In the background is the pizza box with the daffodil doiley inside.  


We have several examples of granny squares - this jacket is a nice one.  The colours are very fresh and spring-like.

My role in a trunk show is to  show a selection of tools, gadgets, and publications.  Here are two of the gadgets I showed yesterday -  holders for rayon or 'art silk'.  Rayon is such a slippery yarn that if you wind it into a ball, like wool, it will fall apart into a terrible tangle.   (I know, I've tried.)  So it was wound onto cross-shaped pieces of plywood, or similar shapes made at home from cardboard.  The 'Felix the Cat' holder  hasn't been used, so you can see the message 'Felix keeps on knitting'.  The other holder shows how the yarn was wound onto the holder - from the part of the writing that I can see, it seems to be from a shop on Boar Lane in Leeds that sold art silk.  


 
Because they are made from a cheap material, and sometimes have advertising for a yarn shop, I wonder if these holders were given free if you bought art silk.  It would be difficult to find out, now - it's the sort of everyday thing that doesn't get recorded and is easily forgotten.  

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Trunk Show at both Skipnorth and Birmingham.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel - we enjoyed doing them, too.

      Delete
  2. I love that Felix the Cat yarn holder. I'd never considered the instability of the balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only knitted a small swatch with art silk, and then I used a centre-pull ball tightly wrapped in clingfilm. And it was OK. But if I had got anywhere near the end of the yarn, I'd have had a hollow ball that would have collapsed into a horrible tangle. These yarn holders would have been really useful.

      Delete
  3. Trunk Shows seem to be so much fun! Really lovely knitting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...